Full Time Veterinary Technician
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Responsible for caring for animals under the supervision of the Medical Director/Veterinarian and Shelter Director. Performs daily care of all patients in isolation rooms, surgical patients, and adoptable animals throughout the shelter. Maintains the medical department through cleaning and organization to reduce spread of disease. Trains shelter staff to utilize approved patient care protocols
To apply for this role, please view the Indeed Job Posting
Works closely with Veterinarians, Shelter Director, Animal Care, Adoptions Coordinator, Foster Coordinator, and other staff
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Maintain knowledge and ability to intake and release patients, including delivering post-operative instructions in a competent and friendly manner
• Know basic veterinary medical concepts
• Communicate in effective and professional manner with public, trainees, and all FOS staff members and leadership
• Represent FOS in a professional and courteous manner at all times
• Follow all written and verbally communicated departmental standard operating procedures
• Prepare patients for surgery, observing all clinic procedures, to enforce sterility and safety of patients
• Assist doctors and veterinary technicians with pre-, peri- and post-operative care of patients
• General duties in the operating room during surgery including assisting with movement of patients, recovery of patients, and general flow
• Maintain controlled drug log by the terms of FL guidelines.
• Able to monitor anesthesia, with a clear idea of abnormal conditions
• Ensure proper care of animals in our foster program and provide follow up with foster families
• Ensure prompt and accurate paperwork procedures are followed each day
• Able to respond appropriately during an emergency, able to take directions from a veterinarian and/or veterinary technician, and maintain competency in CPR procedures
• Able to perform math calculations to give animals needed medications using their weight.
• Able to work full days as a kennel assistant as assigned
• Able to help develop protocols for new programs.
• Train new veterinary assistants, new staff members, interns, and volunteers to utilize our patient care protocols
• Able to work shifts as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Must have a high school diploma
• CVT, RVT, LVT (preferred)
• Must speak fluent English
• Familiar with client education
• Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts, including but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks
• Must also be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian
• Will be asked to take medical histories for surgical rechecks, and exams.
• Will be asked to communicate with the public on a daily basis in a professional manner
• Must be able to learn characteristics of animal behavior (for example: be able to identify aggressive or fearful behavior)
• Must be able to use appropriate safety equipment for fractious or feral animals (will train) – the use of safety equipment is mandatory
• Must possess excellent reflexes
• Should be able to identify own limitations and be willing to ask for help
• Must become proficient at animal restraint for various procedures
Two or more years of experience in an animal shelter or control facility, veterinary clinic, and/or veterinary hospital. Candidate should be highly motivated, enthusiastic self-starter with a professional attitude.