Full Time Animal Care & Enrichment Specialist
Tuesday, September 13, 2022
Applications are currently being accepted.
If you have a passion for animals, and want to be a part of a dedicated, hardworking team a career at Friends of Strays could be right for you! You can make a real difference for stray animals.
As an Animal Care & Enrichment Specialist, your primary duties are to assure and maintain a clean, safe, and healthy environment for the animals in our care. You will be required to follow standard procedures and policies for routine animal care and other related duties. You will work closely with the medical and adoptions teams as well as shelter volunteers to ensure a healthy, enjoyable and stress-free environment for all of the animals in our care. In addition, this position is an integral part of enriching the environment and improving the adoptability of all shelter animals.
- Cleaning and disinfecting of kennels, runs, cages, and crates according to established procedures.
- Performing laundry services for animal bedding and toys.
- Feeding animals their proper diet.
- Seeing to the comfort of all animals in the shelter.
- Reporting animal illness and/or injury according to established procedures.
- Assist volunteers and customers to the best of your ability or redirect to the appropriate staff.
- Ensure daily enrichment items/activities are provided to shelter animals.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2 years experience in customer service or animal care position-preferred
- Animal handling experience- preferred
- Knowledge of canine and feline body language.
- Ability to follow Friends of Strays processes and protocols.
- Experience with data entry and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn shelter software for appropriate documentation and record keeping.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail, good organization, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to work independently but also be a team player, working well with others.
- Patient and professional in dealing with customers, co-workers and volunteers.
- Commitment to the Friends of Strays mission.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License
- The schedule for this position includes weekday, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Hours and days are subject to change based on department needs.
- Ensures that cleaning expectations are met.
- Follows disease and quarantine protocols.
- Ensures animal and human safety.
- Increases quality of life and adoptability with training and enrichment.
- Alerts appropriate departments with behavior or medical concerns.
Reliability & Consistency are a must. As a nonprofit shelter, we are a tight-knit organization with limited staff and rely on each employee to be present when they are scheduled. With that being said, hard work & accountability are routinely recognized and celebrated.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. No phone calls or walk-ins