Full Time Adoption Counselor
Thursday, October 19, 2023
The Adoption Counselor at Friends of Strays has a goal that is simple and powerful: we are looking to connect people and pets for adoption. Friends of Strays employs an open adoption approach where we understand that there Is no such thing as the “perfect home”, and we welcome all clients as potential adopters. Using an open adoptions approach, the adoption process is conversation-based and non-judgmental. Our focus is on matching pets with people and providing resources to continue assisting these new families post-adoption.
Adoption Counselors are the voice of our pet population and work to promote their adoptions. They will need to provide superior customer service skills and must be willing and prepared to answer a wide variety of questions regarding animal husbandry, shelter programs, and how adopters can get more involved in lifesaving. The Adoption Counselor must demonstrate, mentor, and reinforce Friends of Strays values, principles, and mission-driven culture.
Works directly with the Intake/Adoptions Manager, the Receptionist, and volunteers. All staff are encouraged to work together to reach our lifesaving goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Customer Service (50%)
- Provide exemplary customer service to our adopters by effectively communicating and guiding them through the adoption process.
- Escort clients to view available animals for adoption to find out what they are looking for in a pet and explain kennel cards.
- Be familiar with veterinary terminology, animal preventative healthcare, including but not limited to, vaccines, heartworm treatment/medications and flea and tick medications.
- Review adoption applications, interview prospective adopters and make decisions on the outcome of adoptions.
- Attend offsite adoption events and participate in community outreach.
- Answer phones and check voicemails in a timely fashion.
- Provide follow-up post adoption to answer any questions or to address and work through common challenges.
- Treats all visitors and animals humanely, properly, and with compassion always, regardless of the situation or circumstance and promotes a humane and caring attitude toward all.
Husbandry and Handling (20%)
- Interact with and get to know available animals to provide information and to provide the best matches.
- Handle and conduct interactions between animals and their potential adopters.
- Prepare animals to leave the shelter by properly fitting dogs with collars and/or harnesses and placing cats into carriers using low-stress techniques.
- Write “bios”, attach kennel cards, and take photos to help increase adoptability.
- Handle monetary transactions and follow proper receipt protocol.
- Review and document any pertinent customer information into the Pet database.
- Ensure that all adoption paperwork is filed and organized according to policy.
- Submit adopter information to Hills and send Rabies Certificates to the county.
- Photograph and keep track of positive adoption stories or “Happy Tails” to share with other members of the organization and on our social media channels.
- Maintains front desks and lobby area to be neat, clean, sanitized, and free of clutter.
- Documents and organizes in-kind donations.
- Other duties as assigned.
At Friends of Strays, it's all hands on deck. We work together as a team, which means you may be asked to help with tasks that involve working outside in all sorts of weather. Employees should have the ability to remain calm yet professional in stressful situations involving animals and/or members of the public. Friends of Strays houses many animals in its facility at any given time and with that comes fur, odors, and other airborne particles in abundance.
This position is scheduled for Wednesdays through Sundays (5 days/week 8 hours a day); however, the schedule can change and may sometimes require split shifts, evening hours, some holidays or overtime to complete the job. Candidate must be flexible with schedule changes and short-notice overtime requests.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $15.00 per hour
Expected hours: 40 per week
- Flexible schedule
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Saint Petersburg, FL 33714: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Customer service: 1 year (Required)
- Day Shift (Required)
Work Location: In person