Director of Development
Monday, October 31, 2022
Do you love animals and the people who love them? Are you self-motivated? Do you enjoy building relationships? This is your opportunity to join a fun, fast -growing organization and make a huge difference in the lives of homeless and at-risk pets.
Our preferred candidate has experience in a similar role, and established community relationships and network in Pinellas County.
The job is full-time and includes healthcare benefits, free wellness care for your pets, and paid time off with holidays.
The Development Director is responsible for implementing Friends of Strays’ fundraising strategy by strengthening existing channels of revenue, increasing awareness/opportunity for the organization, event management, effectively representing the organization to the public, and collaborating with FOS staff to achieve goals.
The position will seek out and build relationships with local businesses, adopters, donors, volunteers, and other supporters to increase engagement and donations in support of the shelter.
Primary responsibilities of this position are outlined below:
Reports to CEO works closely with development manager, engagement manager and communications/marketing manager, the Board of Directors, and directly with shelter staff and volunteers.
Essential Job Functions
- Identifies, solicits, cultivates, and stewards donors and prospects including major donors, corporations, sponsors, and foundations through visits and other forms of direct personal contact at the $1000 and above giving level.
- Work with CEO to identify, solicit, and cultivate donors for the organization’s planned giving program to increase operational assets.
- Provide support, documentation, and follow-up for legacy gifts made to the organization.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with colleagues to maximize the total gift revenue, plan solicitation strategies, and leverage joint solicitation efforts to move donors up the giving pipeline.
- Be an ambassador for Friends of Strays’ mission by supporting our efforts to establish and maintain extraordinary relationships with donors and donor groups.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with all donors and donor groups.
- Maintain consistent personal contact with current donors and prospects conducting a mutually agreeable number of face-to-face visits per month.
- Annual fundraising goal to be determined by CEO.
- Work with engagement manager and development manager to increase donor engagement through event activities.
- Eligibility to earn an annual bonus based on performance metrics.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or related field.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Two to three years’ experience in nonprofit development/fundraising, sales, community outreach, special events or related field.
- Proven project management experience.
- Animal welfare experience preferred.
- Excellence in customer service, and approach to volunteers and prospects.
- Willingness to be flexible to collaborate with varying audiences.
- Enthusiastic, professional, positive, motivating, inspiring, mission driven personality.
- Detailed-oriented, can effectively oversee a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities.
- Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word processing, data base software, internet.
- Ability to work in a fast paced sometimes stressful environment.
- Enjoy working with diverse backgrounds, age levels & skill levels.
- Demonstrate excellent oral communication, written, telephone and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Detailed-oriented, organized and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to handle and defuse challenging situations with tact.
- Committed to a safe, secure work environment.
- Maintain confidentiality principles.
- Ability to problem solve and must be able to work independently and in team environments.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $60,000.00 per year
Friends of Strays is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek animal lovers from all backgrounds to join our teams, and we encourage our employees to bring their authentic, original, and best selves to work.